Where can I pay my Wage Taxes?

A: The South Fayette wage taxes are collected by Jordan Tax Services, 102 Rahway Road, McMurray, PA 15317. You may also contact them by phone at (724) 731-2300.

Does the local Tax Collector have any authority on millage rates or lowering taxes, and forgiving penalty amounts once the tax has become delinquent?

A: The answer is no, the tax collector simply collects and assists the tax payers and is legally trusted with turning over all collected taxes to the appropraite taxing body. They have no authority to set the amount of taxes, discounts or penalties incurred on the tax bills. There are various programs, however, to assist with some reductions for homeowners, senior citizens and our disabled veterans, which my office has forms and applications for the benefit of the taxpayers, or additional information and links can be found in the Qualifying Tax relief section of this website. Millage rates are set by the South Fayette Township Board of Supervisors and the South Fayette Area School District Board. Any tax assistance programs are either county or state based as enacted by Allegheny County Council, the Allegheny County Chief Excutive, the Pennsylvania State Legislature or the Pennsylvania Governor's administration.

Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion (Act 50)
What is the Homestead Act, and do I qualify?

A: The Homestead Act (Act 50) is a program that reduces your market value by $18,000 for County taxes. There is also a reduction applied for school tax purposes. This reduction is different each year and is based on the amount of gambling revenue South Fayette receives from the state. In 2014, the reduction was $6,074. To qualify, you must be the owner and occupy the dwelling as your primary residence. The application deadline is March 1 of each year. You do not have to reapply once your application is approved. Once you have filed, your exemption will remain in effect until you sell/transfer the property or change your occupancy. In addition, if you have previously filed and qualified for the Act 50 exclusion, you are automatically registered for the Act 1 program.

Why isn’t the Homestead (Act 50) applied to my property?

A: You must apply for the Act 50 if you purchase a property. Also, if there is a name change to your deed, you must file a new Act 50 application.

Example: If you transfer your deed to your maiden name, the Homestead Exclusion will be removed at the end of the year. You must reapply for the Homestead Exclusion. If you believe the Homestead Exclusion should be applied and have filed your application, contact the Allegheny County Treasurer’s Office at 412- 350-4100. You also must have applied, filed and been qualified by March 1st of the current tax year in order for Act 50 to be applied to your eligible tax statements for the current tax year.

Do I have to apply every year for the Homestead Exclusion?

A: No, you don’t have to apply again if you remain the property owner, you haven't filed a deed transfer, and it continues to be your primary residence.

Can a homeowner have more than one Homestead Exclusion?

A: No, a homeowner is eligible for the Homestead Exclusion only for his/her primary residence. Any other Homestead Exclusions will be removed, and the owner is subject to interest, penalties and fines up to $2,500.

Who sets taxation rates?

A: The county tax millage is set by Allegheny County Council. South Fayette School tax millage is set by the South Fayette School Board. South Fayette Township tax millage is set by the South Fayette Township Board of Commissioners.

Use the following links to find your millage rates:
Millage rates for municipalities
Millage rates for school districts
County map provides information about individual municipalities

How do I calculate my taxes?

A: The amount of property taxes that you pay to each taxing body is calculated by multiplying the assessed value of your property by the millage rate set by each taxing body. In practice, a millage rate of 1 mill means that you pay $1 in taxes for every $1,000 of assessed value. For instance, if your home has a new assessed value of $100,000 and your municipality has set a new millage rate of 5 mills, your property tax bill would be $500. Here's how you would calculate your tax bill: First, convert the millage rate to its decimal equivalent to make the multiplication easier. [5 mills x 0.001 = .005 ] Then, multiply your new assessed value ($100,000) by the decimal equivalent of the millage rate (0.005) to determine your tax bill. [$100,000 x 0.005 = $500]